Maharashtra Jeevan Pradhikaran Gives Approval for Replacing Water Distribution Pipeline in Nashik

The project will be financed by central government under 15th Finance Commission and capacity of this new pipeline will be 424 million litres per day (MLD).

The project will be financed by the central government under the 15th Finance Commission and the capacity of this new pipeline will be 424 million litres per day (MLD).

WD News: The Maharashtra Jeevan Pradhikaran (MJP) has given technical approval to the Nashik Municipal Corporation’s (NMC) project for replacing the existing 13-km-long water distribution pipeline from Gangapur dam to Bara Bungalow water filtration plant at a cost of Rs. 210 crore.

Gangapur dam is the major source of water for the city and the civic body gets water from the dam through the existing pipeline to its filtration plant in the city. But the existing distribution pipeline has become old and leads to frequent leakages. Hence, the NMC has decided to replace the existing direct pipeline.

“With technical approval from the MJP, a tender for the work will soon be floated,” an NMC official said.

The NMC has already received in principle approval from the government for its Rs 250 crore projects – Rs 210 crore for Gangapur pipeline project and remaining Rs 40 crore for sewage treatment plant (STP) project. The civic administration has so far received Rs 80 crore for the project and the remaining funds are to be released in phases every year by 2025-26.

The Gangapur dam complex along with Darna and Mukane dams are the major source of water. Gangapur dam provides 80% of the water required for the city, while Mukane and Darna cater the remaining 20%. Currently, the NMC is supplying around 552 MLD of water to the city from these three dams. Of the total supply, 411 MLD is from Gangapur dam and the remaining 141 MLD is from both Mukane and Darna.

Source: Times of India
Image courtesy: Pixabay

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

You may also like

Read More